Ten amazing life facts about AR Rahman
- AR Rahman, in full Allah Rakha Rahman was born on 6th January 1966 in Chennai, India to R.K.Sekhar and Kashturi.
- Nicknamed the “Mozart of Madras”, Rahman was born as AS Dillep Kumar, but his family converted to Islam following a sister’s recovery from a serious illness in 1988.
- Rahman began studying piano at age four. He also mastered the keyboard, synthesizer, harmonium and guitar.
- Rahman made his debut as music director with Mani Ratnam’s Tamil film Roja in 1992. There was no looking back for AR Rahman after this as film offers just started pouring in.
- In 2006, Rahman launched his own music label by the name, KM Music.
- Rahman tuned the film Slumdog Millionaire in 2008, for which he won a Golden Globe and two Academy Awards, becoming the first Asian to do so.
- The Oscar winning song “Jai Ho” was initially composed for the Salman Khan starrer- Yuvraaj.
- In 2009, Rahman was included on the Time 100 list of the world’s most influential people. He was GQ’s Legend of the Year in 2011.
- The old keyboard that he used to play as a teenager is still displayed in his studio.
- Rahman is the only Indian to be featured in ‘List of best-selling music artists of the world’.
Related Articles & Comments