Ten fascinating facts about Indira Gandhi
- Indira Gandhi was born as Indira Priyadarshini Nehru on 19 November 1917 in Allahabad. She was the only child of Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru and Kamala Nehru.
- Indira Gandhi was the first and to date the only female Prime Minister of India and was often referred to as the Iron “Lady of India”.
- Indira had studied at the Viswa Bharati University in Shantiniketan, Bengal (now West Bengal) under the tutelage of Rabindranath Tagore.
- During her school days, Indira drew closer to Mahatma Gandhi. She visited Gandhi very often while he was in prison and sat by his side.
- Indira Gandhi married a Parsi named Feroz Gandhi on March 26, 1942. The couple had tow sons, Sanjay and Rahul Gandhi.
- After the death of father Jawaharlal Nehru, Indira became a member of the Rajya Sabha and the Minister of Information and Broadcasting.
- Indira got elected as the President of Indian National Congress in the late 1950s.
- On January 19, 1966, Indira Gandhi became India’s first Prime Minister and continued to serve the same until 1977.
- In 1971, Gandhi supported the East Pakistan in the Pakistan Civil War, which led to the formation of Bangladesh.
- On October 31, 1984 Indira was shot by two of her personal bodyguards, both were Sikh’s. She was cremated near Raj Ghat – the spot is now known as Shakti Sthala. Her funeral was televised live on numerous domestic and international channels.
Related Articles & Comments