Ten interesting facts about Baba Amte
- Muralidhar Devidas Amte, popularly known as Baba Amte, was born on December 26, 1914 in Hinganghat, Wardha district in Maharashtra.
- He trained as a barrister but, influenced by Mahatma Gandhi’s nonviolent fight for justice, abandoned his legal career in the 1940s.
- In 1942, he organised lawyers to rescue the imprisoned leaders of the Quit India movement.
- Baba married Sudhana Guleshastri in 1946 in an arranged marriage. She always supported Baba Amte in his social activities.
- He and his wife, Sadhna Amte had started an organization for the leprosy patients Anandwan in 1950 and dedicated his entire life to the care of the poor and oppressed.
- Amte later founded “Somnath” and “Ashokwan” ashrams for leprosy.
- Amte followed Gandhi’s way of life and led a spartan life. He wore khadi clothes made from the looms at Anandwan.
- In the year 1985, Baba Amte started the Bharat Jodo or the Unite India movement beginning from Kanyakumari to Kashmir and then again from Gujarat to Arunachal Pradesh in the year 1988.
- He Was Awarded With Padma Shri by government of India in year 1971.
- Amte breathed his last on 9 February 2008 at the age of 93 at Anandwan, Maharashtra.
Related Articles & Comments