Ten interesting facts from Dr BR Ambedkar’s life
- Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar, popularly known as Baba Saheb was bron on 14 April,1891 as a 14th child in a poor Dalit family in Mhwoo Madhya Pradesh and is from Marathi background.
- Ambedkar was a prolific student, earning a law degree and various doctorates from Columbia University and the London School of Economics, and gained a reputation as a scholar for his research in law, economics and political science.
- Babasaheb Ambedkar was the first Indian to pursue an Economics doctorate degree abroad.
- In 1906, Ambedkar married Ramabhai a nine-year old girl, in an arranged marriage. Ramabai died of an acute illness. He later married a Brahmin medical practitioner, Savitha.
- He was the principle of Govt Law College in Mumbai for 2 years before entering policitics. Ambedkar accepted the new Congress-led government’s invitation to become India’s first law minister on 15th August 1947.
- Ambedkar has continuously worked for abolishing discrimination against Dalits, Women and labours.
- On 29th August, 1947, Ambedkar was appointed Chairman of the Constitution drafting committee and is well known as the chief architect and the “Father of Indian Constitution”
- RBI was conceptualized on 1st April 1935 by the guidelines from Babasaheb Ambedkar’s book “Problem of Rupee:its origin and its solutions”
- Ambedkar resigned from the cabinet in 1951 and was appointed as upper house member of Rajya Sabha in 1952 March.
- In the year 1935, Ambedkar penned his autobiography name “Waiting for a Visa”. His birthday April 14 is a public holiday in India and is celebrated as Ambedkar Jayanthi.
Related Articles & Comments