Ten lesser known facts of JRD Tata
- Jehangir Ratanji Dadabhoy “J. R. D.” Tata was born on 29 July 1904 in Paris, France.
- attended the Cathedral and John Connon School, Bombay. Thereafter, he completed his education in London ,France, before joining the army for one year as a citizen of France.
- JRD had a keen interest in flying and on February 10, 1929, he became the first Indian to pass the pilot’s examination and obtain the first pilot license issued in India. Later, he went on to become the father of civil aviation and built Tata Airlines in 1932 which is now called as Air India.
- In 1945 he founded Tata Motors, a locomotive manufacturing company by forming a joint venture with Daimler-Benz of Germany.
- JRD founded the Tata Tea Limited in 1964, Tata Consultancy Services in 1968 and Titan industries in 1987.
- For 50 years, JRD Tata was the trustee of Dorabji Tata Trust which also had established Asia’s first cancer hospital.
- The Tata Memorial Center for Cancer was started in 1941 with the guidance of JRD Tata.
- J.R.D.Tata married Thelma Vicaji in 1930. The couple did not have any children.
- JRD Tata died in Geneva, Switzerland due to a kidney infection and was buried at the Pere Lachaise Cemetery in Paris which is also the largest cemetery in Paris.
- He was awarded India’s highest civilian honour, the Bharat Ratna in 1992 for his selfless service towards humanity.
Related Articles & Comments